Tuesday, January 6, 2009

a little sap before your morning coffee....

CAUTION: if you are easy to tears or hormonal (as i tend to be most days) please move forward and do not read the following blog........

so, tonight after what started as a "rough evening" around our house....having a really hard time with the whole almost 14 life dealt me a bad deck attitude/smart mouth/ i know more than you...tude we have floating around here! my new reaction i have decided is going to be "go to your room, no x-box, you may watch cnn only and stay away from me because you are on my NERVES"! however, i ended the night by meeting a few girlfriends at the movies. and what else do we ladies like to watch...but the sappiest, how hard can i cry in public movies ever, which bring me to the following.

dear fandango,

i watched a movie tonite that reminded me of you my sweet pup. as you are coming up on 10 years old let me flaunt my love for you to the few (and probably just my bnl because he wonders how crazy i really am) readers of my blog. you came into my life with my husband...he picked you from the litter and he is the one whom credit goes to for your wonderful training. i remember the day i pulled into the driveway in azle to be greeted by this "big" jumping licking dog and with sarcasms asked jeffie if you would eat my cats seeing as i was planning on moving into the house. from the beginning you amazed me with your sweet nature...i even began taking you to the nature center for my runs. your love of food became very evident when we discovered you had eaten 3/4 of a chocolate cake made with real heavy duty chocolate....luckily you survived it. then came the first mishap, a pair of beautiful heels i bought for a wedding, only to be worn once since you seemed to love the taste of the right one. from there you became my guardian when i moved to northside and the house with losy locks. i truly believe the thought of you being behind the door kept me safe and many a knockers away. you captured my heart when your daddy left for a four day weekend in las vegas leaving you behind with me....until the 3 am emergency room trip i made because you had been eating trash (not all in my care) and had a stomach the size of three watermelons. after that weekend you stayed with me while jeff went to alaska for three weeks and then to florida for two months. during this time i loved every minute we spent walking/running the trinity river, cuddling in my bed, and of course hanging out on the front porch (my northside neighbors also enjoyed this). i believe 40% of the reason i followed jeff to florida was because i missed you so......


we had six amazing years just the three of us, and a lot of the time just the two of us.....for every mile we walked along the trinity i have thrown 15 sticks to match. you accepted izzy when she was born and would not leave my side the last few weeks when i was preggos. you have graciously let annie pull your tail and try to climb on top of you. you have caused many emergency doctor visits with your "eating" habits, which includes the toaster you chewed up for a few crumbs (remember you lost that $600 crown on your front tooth doing this), and your habit for baby formula drove me crazy especially when i would rush in the door needing a bottle for a screaming izzy only to find the empty can on the floor.
now i could go on and on about all our moments together but i mostly want you to know every car ride whether 10 min or 10 hours with you hanging out in the front seat, every hike through dinosaur valley, every stick i have thrown, every treat you had to do numerous tricks for i will always treasure. your doggie smile lights up my worst days. if there has been one person there for me consistently over the past 8 years it has been you...when i am happy and when i am sad.
i promise to spend more time with you...walk you most days (even if it is just a quick loop around the golf course), throw a stick, rub your ears, and stop to pet you while whispering in your ear what a wonderful dog you are to me. i will make more of an effort to let you up on my side of the bed when you have been pushed of jeff's. you fandango are more than just some dog to me, you have been my best friend and the day you leave us will be the toughest yet.


i love you sweet pup.......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, I do read your blogs and I look for a new one almost every night. The Texas Longspaugh's have a much more interesting life than those up in Washington State.